Behavioral Health Technician - Full Time
|Title:||Behavioral Health Technician - Full Time|
|Department:||Chet Bell Crisis Center|
|Location:||1150 Red John Road, Daytona Beach, FL 32124|
Working Hours: 12 hour shifts, include weekends & holidays
*** This position is eligible for a shift differential of up to 10% ***
The Behavioral Health Technician (BHT) performs a variety of client support and unit operational duties. The BHT's duties may include client monitoring, searches of clients, inventory of client belongings, assistance with client triage and discharge, client transfer between units and programs, transport of clients, implementation of the program daily schedule, and the collection of vital signs and UAs when necessary. The BHT demonstrates compassion, an understanding of the nature of behavioral health illnesses, and the ability to engage clients with mental health illnesses, substance use disorders, and co-occurring illnesses. The BHT helps to provide a safe and therapeutic environment by interacting in a warm, compassionate manner and de-escalating clients when necessary, while always promoting client achievement of treatment plan goals and objectives.
Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent. Six months of related human services experience preferred. Preference will be given to those who are certified as Behavioral Health Technicians. Additional education and/or experience may be required as per specific program guidelines.
- Some knowledge of the human services field and the application of basic client care skills.
- Ability to utilize behavior management techniques and serve as a role model.
- Ability to handle verbally and/or physically abusive and aggressive clients and utilize aggression control techniques to ensure the safety and well being of the client, other clients, and employees in the unit.
- Ability to communicate effectively with suicidal, mentally, emotionally, and/or psychologically disturbed clients in person and over the telephone.
- Ability to defuse potentially dangerous situations, and remain calm in an emergency.
- Ability to understand and implement The Mandt System in order to assist clients who are in crisis. This may include the physical ability to restrain a client, or assist with the restraint of a client.
- Ability to prepare and maintain written documentation.
- Responsible for monitoring the behavior and activities of each client; reports any concerns regarding the health, safety, or well-being of a client to the appropriate authority.
- Serves as a positive role model; utilizes approved behavior modification techniques; provides positive reinforcement and support to clients.
- Conducts and participates in basic life skills activities.
- Processes admissions and discharges for voluntary and/or involuntary clients; orients the client to the facility; explains rules, policies and procedures.
- Completes required program documentation and reports as required - daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
- Documents clients’ activities, behavior patterns, changes in behavior patterns, and occurrences.
- Ensures clients adhere to established schedule and routine.
- Obtains required program information; inventories client valuables.
- Collects urine specimens and completes paperwork and/or laboratory paperwork, if required.
- Conducts security/safety checks; monitors visitors/clients for contraband; conducts searches; removes dangerous items; performs and/or assists with restraints.
- Performs general office and public contact duties, such as: answering telephones, using program radios, greeting visitors, communicating with the public, police, DCF, hospitals etc.
- Participates in meetings as required; converses with staff on client’s progress or lack of progress.
- Performs general cleaning responsibilities when needed.
- Attends training /in-services as required.
- Utilizes approved de-escalation techniques when necessary.
- Transports clients to other agencies, hospitals, homes, community activities, AA meetings etc.
- Ensures compliance with CARF, AHCA, DCF, DJJ and/or DOC standards and security safeguards.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Commits to SMA’s Mission and Core Values.
- Abides by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect.
- Works cooperatively in a group/team setting.
- Shows respect to others.
- Takes guidance and direction from supervisors.
- Arrives/Reports to work on time and ready to work.
EEO Employer W / M / Vet / Disabled